Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Pirate Talk 101: First Part - Greetings & Partings

Next week I will be pirating at Night at the Southern Museum in Kennesaw. In honor of this event, I decided to do a Pirate Talk Primer in multiple parts.

We will begin with common Greetings & Partings. These phrases can be used when meeting or departing from other pirates. “Words of parting should be offered without expectation of reciprocity. Corpses cannot talk. Dead men bid no farewells.”

Pirate

Translation

All my duty to you.

I give you my respects/my best.

Be that you?

Is that you?

By your leave.

Excuse me / Beg your pardon / Good-bye

Fair winds and following seas.

A parting to wish another well.

Fortune with you and yours.

A parting - May fortune be your companion.

Heave ahead.

Come in / Move ahead

Here our ways divide.

Here we go our separate ways.

Here’s luck and a fair wind to you.

Greeting and Parting

Ho there.

Hello there.

How are you called?

What is your name?

How fares your day?

How is your day going?

How is’t with you?

How are you doing?

I be …

My name is….

It’s a very good day/night I be wishing you.

Parting

Speak me of yourself.

Tell me about yourself.

Speak me your tidings.

Tell me how you are doing.

Tell what’s chanced you.

What have you been up to?

What be your name?

What is your name?

What do you here?

What are you doing here?

What might you call yourself?

What is your name?

What would you have?

What do you want?

What’s your trouble?

What’s bothering you?

Who be you?

Who are you?

You come in a fair breeze.

You came at a good time.



This primer was summarized from the book "The Pirate Primer: Mastering the Language of Swashbucklers and Rogues" by George Choundas and available here.

No comments: